Thursday, March 25, 2010

Loving God

Deuteronomy 6:5 tells us to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." When I think about loving God it seems like a simple task. I mean I love God, naturally I do. He loved me, sacrificed his son for me, wants to give me eternal life, of course I love Him. Do I love Him enough though, do I truly love Him more than anything or anyone else? Can I honestly say I love God with all of my heart, soul, and strength? That is SERIOUS LOVE, and to be honest I am not sure I have loved anyone that much. Well, maybe my kids, those maternal instincts can be pretty strong, but I think I am supposed to love my husband more than my kids. Now I am getting confused, according to the Bible I am supposed to respect my husband, fear the Lord, and also Love the Lord with all of my being. I know that I do have love for God, I want to please Him. I try to serve Him whenever I can, and to pray daily. I am grateful for every good thing He has given me. Yet, why does it seem like I often struggle for time to read His word, or listen for that still, quiet, voice? There are so many distractions; computers, televisions, cell phones, embroidery/sewing machines, dinner to fix, groceries to buy, etc. Sometimes I find myself watching "Turner Classic Movies" for an embarrassing number of hours, while I only spent 30 minutes or less with God. How can I love Him more, maybe I should keep praying about it? Limiting distractions is not a bad idea. Remembering that everything I have came from Him, I think that is a good start. Now that I think about it, my whole family is a gift from God. My husband came from God, my kids came from God. Everything in this house He has provided. Thank you, God. He loves me and forgives me for every wrong deed or thought I have ever had. That is powerful! I am not sure if I will ever be able to say "Yes, Lord, I love you enough," but I think being thankful is a good starting point. Faithfulness to prayer, meditation in scripture, accountability to other believers, these are things I can do. I may never feel like I am truly Loving God enough, but that does not mean I am going to quit trying. "I press on toward the goal for which Christ has called me" Philippians 3;14.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a common struggle, thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete